NAME : SAIYID AMIR HASAN ABIDI FATHER’S NAME : S. SHABBIR HASAN DATE OF BIRTH : 1ST JULY 1921 PLACE OF BIRTH : GHAZIPUR, UTTAR PRADESH NATIONALITY : INDIAN RELIGION : ISLAM ADDRESS : 70158, B-10, VASANT KUNJ, NEW DELHI-110070 EDUCATIONAL QUALIFICATIONS : M.A., PH.D. (AGRA UNIVERSITY), D.LITT. (TEHRAN UNIVERSITY) PRESENT STATUS : PROFESSOR EMERITUS, DEPARTMENT OF PERSIAN, UNIVERSITY OF DELHI LANGUAGES KNOWN : URDU, HINDI , ENGLISH, ARABIC, PERSIAN AND OLD PERSIAN, AVESTHA, PAHLAVI VISIT TO FOREIGN COUNTRIES : IRAN, IRAQ, TURKEY, LEBNIN, SYRIA, AFGHANISTAN, PAKISTAN, USSR, TAJIKISTAN, UZBEKISTAN, KAZAKISTAN RESEARCH SUPERVISION : 13 RESEARCH SCHOLARS HAVE RECEIVED PH.D. UNDER HIS GUIDANCE
Born on July 1, 1921, at Ghazipur, Uttar Paradesh (India), Professor Abidi received his early education at Lucknow and Varansi. Later, he joined St. John’s College, Agra, and obtained his Master’s degree from the Agra University, securing a first class first. The same University awarded him the degree of Ph.D. In Persian sometime afterwards.
In 1945, Dr. Abidi joined St. Stephen’s College, University of Delhi, as Lecturer in Persian and Urdu. He was selected by the University of Teheran in 1955, for the award of a scholarship for higher studies in Iran, which he availed and obtained a Doctrate in Persian Language and Literature from Teheran University. ‘Ahang’, a literary magazine in Persian, was brought out under his supervision in 1958. In 1959, Dr. Abidi was appointed Reader in Persian in the University of Delhi. He presided over the Arabic and Persian section of the All India Oriental Conference, held at Gauhati in 1965. In the same year, he travelled to Afghanistan for the history of Indo-Persian Literature. The University of Delhi established a Chair in Persian in 1969 and Dr. Abidi is the first scholar to hold this chair. In the same year, he was appointed Head of the Department of Arabic and Persian. In June, 1969, he travelled to Iran as guest of the Imperial Ministry of Arts and Culture. During his stay in Iran, some of his works were accepted for publication by the Bunyad-i Farhang-i Iran. He was again invited to Iran in October, 1971 – this time to participate in the World Congress of Iranologists, held at Shiraz.. To appreciate his meritorious services to the cause of Persian Language and literature, the President of India awarded him Certificate of Honour in Persian on August 15, 1972.
In 1974, Prof. Abidi travelled to Turkey on the invitation of the Turkish Government to collect source-material for the history of Indo-Persian Literature. During his stay in Turkey, he visited various well-known libraries and museums and had exchange of views with eminent Turk scholars. He was also invited to deliver a lecture in Ankara University.
In recognition of his valuable services to the cause of Iranistics and Persian Studies in India, Delhi Administration presented to him the Sahitya Kala Parishad Award in 1975. In the same year, Prof. Abidi represented India in a Seminar on Amir Lectures at Patna. Also, he attended the meeting on Literary Trends in Central Asia held at Ferdowsi University, Meshhed, as a guest of the Iranian National Commission for UNESCO, the Festival of Arts and the High Council of Culture and Arts respectively. In 1976, Prof. Abidi was appointed Director of an International Seminar on Amir Khusrau, held at New Delhi.
Prof. Abidi was the convener of Board of Studies in Arabic and Persian of the Central Board of Secondary Education, Delhi and is a member of the Advisory Board of the Institute of Post-Graduate Studies and Research in Arabic and Persian, Bihar. He is also a member of the Board of Studies in Persian in the Banaras Hindu University, Patna University, Gujarat University, Bhopal University, Osmania University, Punjabi University and Jamia Millia Islamia. Besides, he is serving on the Art Purchase Committee of the National Museum, New Delhi.
In addition to his ten published books, a large number of his research papers have appeared in standard journals, souvenirs and commemoration volumes in India and abroad. Moreover, his three books have been recommended for publication by the University of Delhi under the University Commission Publication Scheme.
Out of a number of research scholars who worked under his guidance, more than half a dozen have so far qualified for the degree of Ph.D.
An eminent scholar of Iranistics and Persian, Prof. Abidi also possesses a fair knowledge of Arabic, Old Persian, Avestan and Pahlavi languages.
1. VIKRAM URVASHI, 1959 2. GULZAR-I-HAIL, 1961 3. MATHNAVIYAT-I-FANI-KASHMIRI, 1964 4. YOGAVASHISTHA, 1968 5. SUZ-U-GUDAZ, 1970 6. MUNTAKHABUL LATAIF, 1972 7. DASTAN-I-PADMAVAT, 1972 8. TARIKH-I-SALATIN-I-SAFAWIA, 1973 9. PANCHAKHAYANA, 1973 10. ZAMINA-I-TUGHLAQNAQMA, 1975 11. ABU TALIB KALIM KASHANI, 1983 12. HINDUSTAN FARSI ADAB, 1984 13. ISMATNAMA, 1983 14. MAQALAT-I-ABIDI, 1991 15. SUFISM IN INDIA, 1992 16. DARYA-I-ASHAR, 1997 17. GUFTAR-I-PAZUHISHI DAR ZAMINAE ADAOLIYATE FARSI 1377-1998
1. PRESIDENT OF INDIA AWARD, 1972 2. DELHI SAHITYA KALA PARISHAD AWARD, 1980 3. FAKHRUDDIN ALI AHMAD GHALIB AWARD, 1985 4. UTTAR PRADESH URDU ACADEMY AWARD 1985 5. DELHI URDU ACADEMY AWARD, 1985 6. USTAD-I-MUMTAZ, TEHRAN UNIVERSITY (IRAN) 7. PADMA SHRI: THE THIRD HIGHEST CIVILIAN AWARD BY GOVERNMENT OF INDIA, 1992
1. PROFESSOR OF PERSIAN, 1969 2. DEAN OF FACULTY OF ARTS, 1973 3. EDITOR OF AHANG, DELHI 4. CORRESPONDING EDITOR OF INDO IRANICA, CALCUTTA 5. PRESIDENT ARABIC AND PERSIAN SECTION, ALL INDIA ORIENTAL CONFERENCE 1964 6. DIRECTOR OF INTERNATIONAL SEMINAR ON AMIR KHUSRAU DEHLAVI, NEW DELHI 1976 7. EDITOR-IN-CHIEF, BAYAZ, DELHI 8. EXTERNAL EDITOR OF INDO IRANO ARABICA, CALCUTTA UNIVERSITY 9. PRESIDENT, ALL INDIA PERSIAN TEACHERS CONFERENCE, ALIFARH 1980, LUCKNOW UNIVERSITY, 1981, GUJARAT UNIVERSITY, 1985 CALCUTTA UNIVERSITY, DEC 1985 10. CHAIRMAN, DELHI UNIVERSITY EXTENSION SERVICE, 1981 11. NATIONAL LECTURER (UGC) 1983-1984 12. CHAIRMAN, UTTAR PRADESH GOVT. FAKHRUDDIN ALI AHMAD MEMORIAL COMMITTEE 13. FELLOW INDIAN COUNCIL OF HISTORIC RESEARCH
1. NATIONAL ART PURCHASE COMMITTEE OF NATIONAL MUSEUM, NEW DELHI 2. INTSTIUTE OF POST GRADUATE STUDIES AND RESEARCH IN ARABIC AND PERSIAN LEARNING, PATNA 3. BOARD OF STUDIES IN ARABIC AND PERSIAN, CENTRAL BOARD OF SECONDARY EDUCATION 4. BOARD OF STUDIES IN PERSIAN OF MAGADH UNIVERSITY, OSMANIA UNIVERSITY, BANARAS HINDU UNIVERSITY, PANJAB UNIVERSITY, ROHILKHAND UNIVERSITY, PANJABI UNIVERSITY, GUJARAT UNIVERSITY, JAMIA MILLIA ISLMIA AND THE UNIVERSITIES OF UJJAIN, INDORE, PATNA AND BHOPAL 5. FAKHRUDDIN ALI AHMAD MEMORIAL URDU COMMITTEE, LUCKNOW 6. TRUSTEE AND MEMBER OF EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE, GHALIB INSTITUTE, NEW DELHI 7. LANGUAGE AND LITERATURE EXPERT AND REVIEWER, ISLAMIC CULTURE, HYDERABAD
1. ALL INDIA ORIENTAL CONFERENCE 1957-1972 2. GOLDEN JUBILEE CELEBRATIONS OF SHIBLI ACADEMY, AZAMGARH 1960 3. INTERNATIONAL CONGRESS OF ORIENTALISTS, NEW DELHI 1964 4. WORLD CONGRESS OF IRANOLOGIST, SHIRAZ 1971 5. INTERNATIONAL SEMINAR ON AMIR KHUSRAU, KABUL, 1975 6. FIRST FESTIVAL OF TUS 1975 7. IRAN NATIONAL COMMISSION FOR UNESCO 1975 8. DAQIQI COMMERORATION CELEBRATIONS, MASHAD 1975 9. ALL INDIA ISLAMIC STUDIES CONFERENCE, 1958-1977 10. INTERNATONAL SEMINAR ON IQBAL, NEW DELHI, 1977 11. EISGHT PERSIAN STUDIES CONGRESS, KERMAN, 1977 12. OMAR KHAYAM NONGENERY CELEBRATIONS, CALCUTTA, 1980 13. INTERNATIONAL SEMINAR ON GHALIB NEW DELHI, 1980 14. PROF. MAHMOOD SHIRANNI CENTENARY SEMINAR, LAHORE, 1980 15. INTERNATIONAL HIJRI SEMINAR NEW DELHI 1981 16. INTERNATIONAL HIJRI SEMINAR, CALCUTTA 1981 17. SEMINAR IN PATNA COLLEGE, B.N. COLLEGE (PATNA) BHOPAL UNIVERSITY, JAWAHARLAL NEHRU UNIVERSITY, ARABIC AND PERSIAN INSTITUTE, ALIGARH MUSLIM UNIVERSITY, UNIVERSITY OF BARODA, ASIATIC SOCIETY OF BENGAL, COTTON COLLEGE GAUHATI 18. INTERNATIONAL SAADI CONGRESS SHIRAZ 1984 19. INTERNATIONAL SEMINAR ON DR. IQBAL, TEHRAN UNIVERSITY IRAN 1980 20. INTERNATIONAL SEMINAR ON FIRDAUSHI TEHRAN UNIVERSITY IRAN 1991 21. INTERNATIONAL SEMINAR ON NIZAMI TABRIZ UNIVERSITY 1990 22. INTERNATIONAL SEMINAR ON KHAWAJA KIRMANI SHAHI BHANER UNIVERSITY, KERMAN 1991 23. INTERNATIONAL SEMINAR ON JAMI, DOSHAMBE 1989 24. INTERNATIONAL SEMINAR ON BARBAD 1990 25. INTERNATIONAL SEMINAR ON COMMON CULTURAL HERITAGE OF IRAN AND INDIAN SUB CONTINENT ISLAMABAD 1993
1. KABUL UNIVERSITY 1965 2. ANKARA UNIVERSITY 1974 3. KHUDA BAKSH ANNUAL LECTURES PATNA 1975 4. DIAMOND JUBILEE CELEBRATION LECTURES BANARAS HINDU UNIVERSITY 1977 5. DR. ISHAQ MOMORIAL LECTURE, CALCUTTA 1979 6. VISHWA BHARTI 1979 7. NATIONAL MUSEUM, NEW DELHI 8. KARACHI UNIVERSITY 1982 9. BHOPAL UNIVERSITY 1983 10. GUJARAT UNIVERSITY 1983 11. SIR ABDULLAH SUHRAVARDI LECTURES (CALCUTTA UNIVERSITY) 1984 12. M.S. UNIVERSITY OF BARODA 1984 13. PATNA UNIVERSITY 1984 14. S.V. UNIVERSITY 1984 15. PROFESSOR P.C.BACHI MEMORIAL LECTURE VISVA BHARTI 1988 16. OSMAN MOHAMMAD ISMAIL SMAN ABDUL HAQUE ENOWMENT LECTURES MADRAS UNIVERSITY 1990 17. MUNSHI AFTABUDDIN MEMORIAL LECTURE, ASIATIC SOCIETY OF BANGLADESH, DHAKA 1992 18. PROF M. MUJEEB MEMORIAL LECTURE NEW DELHI 1999
1. THE VALUABLE AND HITHERTO UNKNOWN WORKS OF GREAT PERSIAN AND INDO PERSIAN WRITERS 2. A CRITICAL EDITION OF TAJUL MAATHIR SPONSORED BY THE INDIAN COUNCIL FOR HISTORIC RESEARCH, NEW DELHI 3. HISTORY OF PERSIAN LITERATURE SPONSORED BY THE URDU DEVELOPMENT BOARD, NEW DELHI 4. ENGLISH TRANSLATION OF PERSIAN AKHBARAT, SPONSORED BY THE NATIONAL ARCHIVES OF INDIA AND THE UNIVERSITY OF DELHI